Who doesn’t love a pajama party? You do realize that it’s just an excuse to dress up and wear a costume. Next time, have some fun and get a little creative with costume ideas that have to do with sleeping. The truth is, there are some very famous sleepers in literature, movies, television, and, of course, reality. Why not celebrate them during your next studio, club, family, or friend’s get-together?
I have some costume ideas for a cool pajama party.
- Rip Van Winkle w/liquor bottle. To get away from his wife’s nagging, Rip Van Winkle drank a bunch of liquor, passed out, and fell into a deep sleep. When he awoke, 20 years had passed. During that time not only did his wife die, but he totally missed the American Revolution. Also, as you can imagine, after 20 years of not shaving he ended up with a beard that was about a foot long. (This sounds like a fun pajama party costume.)
- Winnie the Pooh (World-class sleeper.)
It’s interesting to note that many movies that feature sleep (or the lack of it) are thrillers or psychological horror films.
- Taxi Driver is a classic movie in which Robert De Niro stars as Travis Bickle, a 26-year-old Vietnam War veteran with a troubled life. To begin with, he’s fighting a battle against sleeplessness. In fact, to help with his chronic insomnia, Travis becomes a nighttime taxi driver. Just imagine what he wears to bed, not to mention the red, bloodshot eyes.
- Austin Powers: International Man of History featured beautiful blondes in delightfully frou-frou baby-doll lingerie.
- For more pajama party costume ideas from movies, check out this post, “From Eyes Wide Shut to Closer, Shop 17 Iconic Movie Lingerie Looks.”
- Sex and the City (Anything sexy, of course.)
- The Simpsons (Not as alluring as Sex and the City, but comfy for bedtime.)
- Dynasty (Rich and elegant. Maybe even be dripping in jewels.)
- The Golden Girls (I’d pick Blanche!)
Your friends, family, and neighbors are a great source of pajama party inspiration.
- Little kid or baby carrying a blankie and sucking on a binky.
- Crazy-looking old lady or man. You can have some fun with that. For example, he’s in a robe and long pajama pants and smoking a short cigar. Of course, she’s in a nightgown or housecoat and slippers, curlers in her hair with a cigarette dangling from her lip.
- Dog, cat, bear. Let sleeping dogs lie; take a little catnap; bears get to hibernate every winter. Your pj’s could shine a light on their personalities and habits.
- Doctor or nurse in sleep-scrubs carrying a doctor’s bag filled with (candy) sleeping pills.
- Criminal or Prisoner. A uniform of black and white stripes (or orange is the new black) could be accessorized with a pair of handcuffs in the back pocket. These professional bad guys need a good night’s sleep before they make their great escape.
- Priests, Nuns, and Rabbis are probably pretty well buttoned up when they go to bed. Don’t forget the rosary beads or prayer shawl.
- Librarians have a reputation for being secretly sexy. What’s behind the bun with not a hair out-of-place, the horn-rimmed glasses, and frumpy robe? Surprise!
- Tap Dancers might wear a cute little pajama shorts set with the top tied at the waist.
Ok, so now the ball is in your court. Therefore, it’s up to you to do a little research and have some fun with it.
There are lots of good party ideas in this Dance Safari post, “Theme Parties by the Decade for Ballroom Dancers.”