Once you decide to try ballroom dancing, the fun will begin with your first lesson. Naturally, you’ll wonder, “What will it be like?” Well, the answer is, it’s different for each person. How you learn is based on your life experiences. For example, let’s take a look at how engineers and martial artists learn.
But first, there are three things will help determine how quickly you pick up ballroom dancing.
- Do you enjoy learning new things?
- What kind of work do you do?
- What do you do for fun?
Often, engineers and martial artists have different ways of learning.
Martial artists tend to be emotional, feeling learners.
Because of this, they don’t need a detailed breakdown of each move. As a matter of fact, some parts of the martial arts are similar to ballroom dancing.
- Just like ballroom dancing, martial artists are trained to use good posture to improve balance, weight transfer, as well as, turns and spins.
- Martial artists learn forms for continuity and muscle memory. In fact, forms are similar to steps and choreography in dance.
- Sparring is another major aspect of martial arts. Being aware of your opponent’s position is similar to ballroom dancing and the use of floorcraft.
- Finally, the martial artist is experienced in performing in front of people and, because of this, he’s usually not self-conscious.
Watch this martial arts demonstration team perform a beautifully choreographed show.
Unlike martial artists, many engineers are technical learners.
Accordingly, they are analytical, detailed, and love to break things down.
- As professional students, engineers are comfortable taking notes. For this reason, they often carry a binder filled with details of previous ballroom dance lessons.
- Engineers thrive on mastering new challenges. They find it very useful to make videos of their lessons. This allows them to visually review their lesson should they have a question.
- Technical learners pride themselves in having the proper equipment such as the right ballroom dance shoes, ballroom dance music, and, of course, their notes.
- They practice – a lot!
To be sure, martial artists can be technical learners and engineers can be emotional, feeling learners. Oh, and by the way, some people are a combination of the two learning styles. What about you?
Engineers and martial artists make awesome ballroom dancers. Find out more about learning to dance at: “What are the First Few Ballroom Dance Lessons Like?“
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.