Learning a new hobby like ballroom dancing is a personal journey. It’s unique to you as a person and as a student. Let’s take a look at the different learning styles of engineers and martial artists.
How you process the information given during your instruction is based on your distinct life-experiences. Things like how you did in school, what you do for a hobby, and how you earn a living are important factors in determining the course your learning will take.
This brings us to the question in the title. Everyone is different and it’s often a mistake to make generalizations. That said, engineers and martial artists just about always learn in a particular manner.
Martial artists tend to be emotional, feeling learners who don’t want a detailed breakdown of each move. Some elements of the martial arts are similar to ballroom dancing.
- They are trained to use good posture to improve balance, weight transfer, and many of the same turns and spins that are used in ballroom dancing.
- Martial artists are required to learn forms that help them master continuity in action and reaction (offense and defense). This is exactly like mastering steps or choreography. Repetition is key.
- Sparring is another major aspect of martial arts. It compares to what we call floorcraft which is the ability to skillfully and safely navigate around the ballroom dance floor and other dancers.
- Finally, the martial artist is experienced in performing in front of people and is usually not self-conscious.
Many engineers are technical learners who are analytical, detailed, and love to break things down. That’s why they’re drawn to their career.
- As professional students, engineers are comfortable taking notes and often carry a binder filled with details of previous ballroom dance lessons.
- They enjoy making videos of parts of their lessons. These are the tools they use to achieve success.
- Technical learners pride themselves in having the proper equipment such as the right ballroom dance shoes, ballroom dance music, and, of course, their notes.
- They practice – a lot!
Martial artists can be technical learners and engineers can be emotional, feeling learners. Oh, and by the way, some people are a combination of the two learning styles.
Engineers and martial artists make awesome ballroom dancers. Find out about taking lessons at: “Getting to Know You” What are the First Few Ballroom Dance Lessons Like?
If you enjoyed this post, please LIKE and SHARE below so others can enjoy it, too. Thanks!